MY SHARE OF THE SPOILS

After a horrible night of barely 4 hours sleep due to anxiety awaiting the purported big day, I arrived the National stadium Surulere at 6:45am, as the shabby sms informed me that we were to begin at 7:00 am prompt. I felt I had so much information after a visit the previous day. The crowd at he gate was overwhelming as we scrapped for a share of oxygen.
I had to be firm with my legs on the ground to avoid falling down, from thrusts and counter thrusts (though I was favoured by nature, cos I had a firm center of gravity, if you know what I mean).
Upon entry, I discovered I was under-informed (if such a word exists), the said venue (Basketball court)
can't even hold one tenth of the applicants, we assembled at the training pitch, like sheeps without a shepherd, occasional runs and retreat was the name of the game, as such a crowd would be so easy to deceive (I said to myself) as no one had a mind of his own.
After several hours of wait, I decided to relieve tension and joined some guys in playing the popular 'center man'. With our apparel we were so easy to identify (hehehe). At 11:00 am, we saw d first angel (an immigration officer), to save you the stress of much stories, the gates to the main bowl was thrown open, it would take less 10 at same time, and over 30,000 wanted to get in at the same time, the dust exhumed reminded me of R.C.C working on the Ugbowo lagos road, had to advise myself to retreat (he who fights and run away, lives to fight another day), I looked around for another entry and I probed the hemisphere and behold I saw a heavy woman been assisted through an entrance you can't imagine, they were climbing into the main bowl, and incase I forgot to mention there is nothing National about that stadium.
After much ado, we were asked to settle down, with relative clamness and some intervals of shouts (eeeeh eeeeh) o jobless youths. I was lost a few times with thoughts of watching man utd play at Old Trackford cos that was the last time I saw such a crowd and it was on tv.
We were addressed to remain clamn and await accreditation, and he said "becareful and peaceful, as there are entties that would fail accreditation and cause trouble", and I snapped for a moment, so they anticipate trouble.
Rowdiness erupted when accreditation began, after a long wait, had to climb down into the main bowl to be accredited, as we were writing names a young man started running and shouting "I get the answer sheet", this was the straw that broke the camels' back, how could they be sharing question paper when others were yet to be accredited, nobody paid attention to accreditation and began to run for question paper. I was able to wrestle a paper (CDFIPB 3) I could tell if it was for Bsc. All the same, at the end there was no one to submit to, as trouble had erupted. Some youths were industrious as they came with cardboards and instantly placards with inscriptions " we will not leave Nigeria for our leaders", I had to climb my way out and took the next available bus to Benin city.
Follow us: @the_Eonn

PRECIOUS EONN OMOBUDE
Freelance writer and speaker
Chief Editor and member
TEAM 5.


1 comment:

  1. When there is no proper planning. There will definitely be a proper failure. But as typical Nigerians that we are, the Minister for Interior, the DG of Immigration and even the president are all looking for scapegoats to lay the blame on. May God help us.

    ReplyDelete